In this section
Follow us:



History and Heritage

On 17 August 1914, just 12 days after war was declared, the first volunteers arrived at the newly formed Blackboy Hill training camp located in Greenmount. This was the birthplace of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in WA and over 32,000 men passed through the camp before heading off to war.

Blackboy Hill Commemorative Site

​Learn about the history of the villages that developed along the former Eastern Railway with these short heritage walks compiled by local history groups. There are currently three walks in the series, featuring the villages of Darlington, Mundaring and Parkerville. Visit the Walk & Cycle page to find out more.  

Heritage Walk Series

​The Mundaring and Hills Historical Society (MHHS) has operated the Mundaring District Museum since 1997. It is co-located with the Mundaring Visitor Centre in the old Mundaring School building.

Mundaring and Hills District Museum

In the 1890s prospectors made a dash for gold in Coolgardie,. However, in the dusty, dry and searing heat another precious commodity proved even more elusive – water!

Mundaring Weir

​At the base of the Mundaring Weir, the No 1 Pump Station provides visitors with information about the world’s longest freshwater pipeline. The Golden Pipeline is 560km in length.

No 1 Pump Station (museum)

​Swan View Tunnel, located in John Forrest National Park, was built in 1895 and is the earliest railway tunnel in West Australian’s history.  Charles Yelverton O’Connor designed the 340m Swan View Tunnel to overcome a granite barrier formed by a fold in the Darling Range.

Swan View Tunnel