In the 1890s prospectors made a dash for gold in Coolgardie,. However, in the dusty, dry and searing heat another precious commodity proved even more elusive – water!
In 1895 the State's Engineer-in-Chief of Public Works, CY O'Connor, was commissioned to devise a way of delivering fresh water to the arid goldfields around Coolgardie
Mundaring Weir was constructed between 1898 and 1903 to deliver water 560km from Mundaring to Kalgoorlie.
Today Mundaring Weir still supplies water to the Wheatbelt agricultural areas and the Goldfields. It has recently been recognised as an international historic civil engineering landmark.